Internal / External
The Corporation of the City of St. Thomas -
Parks, Recreation and Property Management Department has a position for a:
Job Posting #121-12-18
This CUPE 35 position, under the general supervision of the Supervisor of Parks and Forestry, oversees the day-to-day propagation, care and cultivation of flowers and nursery stock, environmental and biological control, landscape design, tree maintenance, and the daily operation of the Municipal Greenhouse. Provides technical direction and guidance to the Horticulture Workers and seasonal staff.
Oversees and participates in the operations of the municipal greenhouse.
Oversees and ensures the propagation, care and cultivation of flowers and other plant material throughout the parks system.
Provides technical direction and guidance to the Horticulture Workers and seasonal staff.
Participates in the development of landscape designs.
Oversees and participates in the planting, pruning and removal of trees.
Oversees and participates in general parks operations and maintenance.
Administers biological controls within an integrated pest management program.
Plans, organizes and coordinates work activities as assigned.
Provides technical direction and guidance to staff in a work crew environment as well as being responsible for quality, accuracy and quantity of work.
Keeps records and prepares technical reports as required.
This position must take responsibility for personal health and safety so far as he or she is able under the Occupational Health and Safety Act and its Regulations. A worker must:
- Work in compliance with the provisions of the Act, the regulations and City policies.
- Must use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the City requires to be used or worn.
- Report to his or her supervisor the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which the worker is aware and which may endanger himself, herself or another worker.
- Report to his or her supervisor any contravention of the Act, the regulations or the existence of any hazard of which he or she knows.
This position shall not:
- Remove or make ineffective any protective device required by regulations or by the City, without providing an adequate temporary protective device and when the need for removing or making ineffective the protective device has ceased, the protective device shall be replaced immediately.
- Use or operate any equipment, machine, device or thing or work in a manner that may endanger himself, herself or any other worker.
- Engage in any prank, contest, feat of strength, unnecessary running or rough and boisterous conduct.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
Minimum two (2) year diploma in Horticulture. A three (3) year diploma from a School of Horticulture would be an asset. Four (4) years recent related experience with two (2) of those years including Horticultural supervisory experience. Experience in Horticultural Maintenance is required. Experience in Arboriculture is an asset. Must have Greenhouse Exterminator Licence and Industrial Vegetation Exterminator Licence from the Ministry of the Environment. Must be competent within the meaning of the Occupational Health & Safety Act and be capable of issuing clearly understandable oral and written instructions. Must possess a valid Class ‘G’ Ontario Driver’s license.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Required to work outside and beyond the normal hours of work and participate in the rotational weekend stand-by call period.
$30.86 per hour (2019 Rate) working 40 hours per week and a comprehensive benefit package.
HOW TO APPLY:
Go to www.stthomas.ca – Employment. Go to the Gardener Job Posting and click the ‘Apply Now’ button at the bottom of the page.
Applications must be received no later than Wednesday December 19, 2018.
Although we appreciate all applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Personal information for this position is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act, R.S.O. 2001, as amended.
Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.