LEAD HAND, HORTICULTURE/GREENHOUSE
The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Applications are being accepted for the Lead Hand, Horticulture/Greenhouse. Reporting to the Supervisor, Parks Infrastructure and Horticulture, the successful candidate will be a working Lead hand role that assists the Supervisor in the planning and scheduling of all resources necessary to carry out parks horticulture and contracted services programs, and will perform functions in accordance with established standard operating procedures, departmental and corporate policies, sound horticulture, arboriculture & construction principles and practices, and applicable codes, with a focus on quality customer service and continuous improvement processes. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
- Plan, schedule, delegate, monitor, quality control and evaluate the work of the Horticulture team and related contractors and volunteers.
- Ensure the efficient and appropriate deployment, design, establishment, maintenance, and renewal of the City’s horticultural assets, including hanging baskets, planters, beds, and landscapes.
- Ensure the efficient, high quality propagation, production, procurement, stock handling and deployment of annual plant needs, including greenhouse crop and related materials.
- Manage the greenhouse facilities and operations, including monitoring; temperature, humidity, and ventilation control; and, internal/external pest control via IPM best practice, including overseeing pesticide application, compliant with the Pesticide Act.
- Provide leadership for Horticulture team and program direction, innovation, value, service, and coordination. Create or revise policies, guidelines, and standard operating procedures, as required.
- Liaise with Supervisor and/or Manager to report progress and variances, incidents and equipment matters, resolve issues, and refine planning.
- Assist with seasonal recruitment and lead on-boarding process.
- Ensure that all tools, equipment, and materials are safe to use, and that appropriate standard operating procedures are in place, and that staff, contractors, and volunteers are properly trained in their use. Equipment includes, but is not limited to horticulture/arboriculture hand tools, line trimmers, rototillers, brush chippers, agricultural tractors, chain saws, rotary mowers, post pounders, leaf blowers, sod cutters, rakes, shovels etc.
- Carry out all necessary maintenance and adjustments while keeping the equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition, and ensure daily circle checks and defects reporting and, if necessary, undertake small repairs in a prescribed manner and ensure timely documentation to trigger required repairs.
- Provide technical direction to staff, contractors, and volunteers, and assist in their training and development, as appropriate.
- Maintain accurate and thorough records to corporate standards, related to financial transactions, inventories, employee relations, health and safety, inspections, incidents, and annual production plans and schedules.
- Liaise with others in the division or beyond, to coordinate projects and inter-related schedules, gain efficiencies in operations, and to share equipment, materials, and staff.
- Manage service requests, work orders, and purchasing using Oracle WAM, 311GIS and other programs, as applicable.
- Investigate and respond to citizen inquiries/concerns, and decide on and execute related work.
- Manage digital in-field data capture for the Horticulture program.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a 2 year post-secondary - diploma in Horticulture, Landscape, or closely related field of study and four (4) years of relevant gardening experience in a municipal or commercial environment. Candidates with equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered. Practical experience in greenhouse management is desirable.
- Strong leadership skills with experience in directing and assigning work to others, including training, monitoring work performance, and motivating staff.
- Must possess a Class D-Z licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Must possess a current Landscape, Industrial Vegetation and Greenhouse Exterminator class applicators license from Ontario Ministry of the Environment.
- Must possess (or agree to obtain) IPM accreditation within the first year.
- Must possess working knowledge of pest control and IPM-PHC practices.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of garden design, plants, soils, tools, equipment and procedures relevant to gardening/horticultural activities.
- Thorough knowledge in currently accepted industry practices for plant health care including propagation techniques, greenhouse environmental controls, insect and disease identification, invasive exotics, and Integrated Pest Management controls.
- Certifications in Forklift, Chainsaw, 0-8 tons crane operations, and confined space entry would be an asset.
- A valid Ministry of Environment Land Class licences for Landscape and Industrial Vegetation to perform land extermination and a Structural Class licence for the greenhouse rodent control would be an asset.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written, customer service and problem solving skills.
- Proficient time management and record keeping skills and flexibility in adjusting between a variety of duties.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Must be a reliable self-starter and undertake all aspects of the job thoroughly and willingly.
- Must possess an understanding of the MTO’s OTM Book 7 for Temporary Conditions, and proven knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and other applicable legislation.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office software, including Word and Excel.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical activities including lifting, digging, shoveling, raking and climbing ladders and be able to actively participate in daily activities, working within live traffic conditions and adverse weather conditions.
$33.39 per hour
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday October 12, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the “Apply for this job” button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.