Seasonal Labourer - Cemeteries
A Community Pursuing Prosperity, Quality of Life and a Healthy Environment
The City of Kawartha Lakes, located on the Trent-Severn Waterway in central Ontario, offers a unique mix of urban, rural, agricultural and water-front living to a growing population of 75,000, plus its annual seasonal residents and guests. Bordered to the south and west by the Oak Ridges Moraine and GTA and Haliburton and the Muskokas to the north, our goal is excellence and responsible municipal management in the delivery of quality services to our residents and in planning for our communities.
Wage $15.98 - $19.24 hourly (2018)
Reports To Supervisor, Parks and Open Spaces
Department Parks, Recreation and Culture
Location Starting point will be Lindsay, but work locations will be throughout the City of Kawartha Lakes
Hours 40 hours per week. Includes day, afternoon, evening and weekend shifts.
Must be willing and able to work all shifts.
Other Seasonal – approximately to November.
- Prepare burial sites in accordance with applicable legislation pre and post interment, or columbarium, as applicable
- Maintain site records, assisting with location of plot or columbarium assignments for family, clergy, funeral directors
- Prepare grounds for individual and decoration day services
- Responsible for grass cutting and grounds maintenance of City-maintained cemetery properties, including planting and maintenance of trees, shrubs and flower-beds
- Maintain shelter facilities and sheds
- Operate various machinery and equipment related to Cemetery maintenance functions
- Patrol and monitor properties for vandalism and secure facilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Secondary School Diploma
- Experience in grounds maintenance with emphasis on horticulture, landscape construction, and parks maintenance
- Demonstrated knowledge of workplace Health and Safety and WHMIS
- Demonstrated ability to operate hand tools, various motorized equipment, including small tractors and backhoe, combined with a working knowledge of equipment preventative maintenance
- Demonstrated professional and ethical responsibility to protect privacy, use confidential information appropriately, treat sensitive situations with appropriate degree of tact and discretion
- Effective oral communication and strong interpersonal skills to deal with members of the public, council and all levels of staff
- Demonstrated time-management skills with the ability to prioritize workloads and meet deadlines while maintaining a high level of accuracy
- Ability to work independently or as an effective member of a team
- Good analytical and problem solving skills related to area of expertise
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and any other related software
- Possess and maintain a valid Ontario Class “D” Driver’s Licence with “Z” endorsement with acceptable driving record, or willingness to obtain within a reasonable timeframe
- Upon a conditional offer of employment, a Criminal Record Check, including a Vulnerable Sector Search will be required
How to Apply: Applications may be submitted directly through our careers portal on our website: www.kawarthalakes.ca
We appreciate the interest of all applicants; however only those selected for interviews will be contacted. We will accommodate the needs of applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise Human Resources to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process.