CITIZENS FIRST THROUGH SERVICE EXCELLENCE
(JOB # J0618-0706)
Job Number: J0618-0706
Job Title: Horticultural Supervisor
Department: Transportation Services, Parks and Forestry Operations Department
Job Type: Permanent Full Time
Job Category: Parks
Number of Positions: 1
Date Posted: June 29, 2018
Closing Date: July 27, 2018
Salary: $99,887.00 - $118,914.00/Year
Hours of work: 35
As one of southern Ontario’s fastest growing cities, with its mix of urban and rural areas, Vaughan is an in-demand place to live and work. Considered one of Canada’s most family friendly cities, Vaughan has a dynamic and diverse population of more than 320,000. With one of the top-performing economies, a growing tourism industry and an enviable portfolio of recreational and cultural venues, this is the place where you want to be.
Reporting to the Manager of Forestry and Horticulture, responsibilities include, but not limited to; strategic planning, horticulture design, supervision and coordination of full time and seasonal staff, developing staff to their potential and asset management. The Horticulture Supervisor is also responsible for horticultural programs, developing relationships with the community, clubs and associations, special event coordination, developing and delivering tenders and contract administration. The Horticulture Supervisor will work in a team approach with other Supervisors to deliver winter snow clearing operations, City and Department Policies and Occupational Health and Safety programs.
Qualifications and Experience
- Diploma or degree in Landscape Design/Construction, Horticulture, Parks Management, or related field and experience in horticulture and parks maintenance showing progressively accountable positions.
- Current holder or willing to obtain, MOE Landscape Pesticide Licence, IPM Certification
- Minimum of five (5) years progressively more responsible municipal park maintenance experience, including a minimum of three (3) years supervisory experience preferably in a unionized environment.
- Working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and electronic purchasing computer applications.
- Availability to work flexible hours including “on call” responsibilities on a rotating basis with other Supervisors.
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act as it applies to Parks maintenance operations.
- Good interpersonal, customer service, communication, problem solving, team building, multi-tasking and leadership skills.
- Valid Class “G” Drivers License.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
City of Vaughan
Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
The City of Vaughan is committed to diversity and inclusivity in employment and welcomes applications from qualified individuals of diverse backgrounds. The City of Vaughan is also committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.