FIELD RECREATION AND SPECIAL PROJECTS FOREPERSON
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Supervisor, Operations, Planning & Contract Services, this position is responsible to oversee and coordinate the maintenance of field service levels through Corporate, Departmental and Divisional standard operating procedures. This includes ensuring that the most efficient use of staff, equipment and materials is achieved within the Division. Prepare annual operating budgets, and assist with establishing and prioritizing capital projects for Parks Maintenance and Forestry. Plans, co-ordinates schedules, recruits, trains, evaluate and supervise staff. Provides leadership and work functions to front line staff.
- Provide highest level of customer service and rapid response to customer concerns and initiate follow-up action as required.
- Submits schedules of manpower and equipment to complete projects for approval by Supervisor; would also include estimating costs and delivery schedules if required.
- Oversee and inspect all functions performed by crew members; ensure quantity, quality and consistency of work along with ensuring the safe/efficient use of equipment, tools and materials.
- Prepare, monitor and control the annual department area operating and capital budget.
- Liase with union and non-union staff to promote consistent service levels for staff who may be geographically divided.
- Ability to make arrangements for marking of underground utilities, Gas, Bell, Hydro, Cable, Water, fibre optics or traffic signals. Meet on site with locater or have them mark and fax information.
- Coordinates manpower, equipment, materials and schedules for the completion of projects singularly or with other Parks management staff.
- Co-ordinate training, direct and monitor staff to perform work safely and efficiently according to Health & Safety Regulations.
- Assists supervisor in administrating the section by recording of time, costing and purchase of materials. This may involve computer input and data retrieval necessary for completion of projects.
- Inspect all work areas including parkland, buildings, structures and equipment to ensure productivity, proper operation, cleanliness and safety.
- Provide on-call foreperson services on a rotational basis with other divisional forepersons, as and when required.
- Knowledge of graffiti removal processes and other specialty parks functions is an asset.
- Grade 12 plus post secondary Diploma or Certificate in Horticulture Science or equivalent.
- Minimum 3-5 years of parks experience with effective supervisory skills;
- 2 years supervisory experience preferably in a unionized environment.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills are essential;
- Knowledge of small and heavy equipment operation and the use/operation of computers, including MS Office.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service, interpersonal and leadership skills.
- The ability to work independently and as part of a team while ensuring the confidentiality of all matters discussed while participating as part of the Parks Management team.
- Ability to create and track work schedules and accomplishments utilizing Microsoft Office programs.
- Knowledge of Corporate policies and procedures pertaining to staff management.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health & Safety Act, WHMIS regulations, MTO Highway Traffic Act, MTO Road Signals Procedures, WSIB regulations, Bill C-45, Bill 118.
- Good performance and work record.
- Demonstrated ongoing commitment to professional development.
- Ability to wear personal protective equipment and must possess a valid Ontario “G” Driver’s Licence.
Exciting things are happening at the City of Brampton. To hear more of what our employees have to say, watch our Join Our Team Video. For some insight on Brampton’s future watch our Planning Vision Video by renowned Planner Larry Beasley.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
**Starting Salary: $76,060.00 per annum
TO APPLY: Please apply online, quoting file number: 102853 by March 27, 2018 at: www.brampton.ca/employment or via www.workopolis.com and search for key words City of Brampton. If you require assistance with the application process, please contact us directly. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview with be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. We are dedicated to equal opportunity.
The City is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and work environments. If you are contacted for a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Division of any accommodations needed to ensure you have access to a fair and equitable process. Any information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.