The City of Guelph is a vibrant community with over 120,000 people located in the heart of Southern Ontario, just one hours driving distance from Toronto. Set in a picturesque natural setting, Guelph is known for its rich architectural heritage, growing economy and excellent quality of life - all good reasons to consider a career in this beautiful city.
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Recreation Coordinator - Aquatics with the Parks and Recreation Department. Reporting to the Supervisor, Aquatics, Inclusion and Volunteers, this position is responsible for the implementation, delivery and consistency of city-wide aquatics programming. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Administrative Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, excellence and wellness, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision – to be the city that makes a difference.
Hours of work:
35 hours per week, 7 hours per day, Monday to Friday. Occasional evening and weekend shifts will be required.
- Assist with the overall governance of City wide aquatic programs at municipal pools including indoor, outdoor and wading pools.
- Assist with the supervision, training, mentoring and evaluating a large staff team.
- Assist with the planning, development and execution of a variety of aquatic programs including youth, preschool, children, adults, seniors and summer camps.
- Assist with the recruitment, training, coaching and the evaluation of staff, provide coaching for improved performance, develop goals and objectives and conducts annual performance appraisals for final approval
- Assist with analyzing and assessing recreation program requirements by the identification of trends, demographics and new techniques to determine the needs of the community ensuring that the market is responsive.
- Maximizes the use of aquatics facilities through cooperative program initiatives, partnership arrangements, community resources and special events; investigate the feasibility and develop new program initiatives.
- Provide input in the preparation and implementation of policies, operating procedures, work methods and standards that support the delivery of aquatic recreation programs, assist in monitoring the operating performance against established policies and procedures.
- Assist with the preparation of annual work plans, annual business plans, and operating budgets for approval.
- Monitor and evaluate operational budgets and ensure financial accountability for assigned budget.
- Assist with the execution of marketing and sales plans to maximize revenue, usage and customer service satisfaction; collects and analyzes data related to customer feedback and effectiveness of marketing and sales initiatives.
- Liaise and represent the City of Guelph while working with the Lifesaving Society, Red Cross, stakeholders, suppliers, schools, contractors and the general community.
- Respond to emergencies, inquiries and complaints and ensures a positive relationship between the public, outside agencies and internal staff at all times.
- Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, City of Guelph policies & and established industry guidelines.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through a two year college diploma in Recreation or a related discipline and 2-3 years experience in aquatics. Candidates with an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Experience motivating, training, and supervising staff in a service oriented environment.
- Current Red Cross, Lifesaving Society Instructor, current National Lifeguard Society certification, Standard First Aid / CPR-C.
- Standard First Aid Instructor/Examiner, NLS Instructor/Examiner or Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Trainer would be considered an asset.
- A valid Class G drivers licence with a good driving record. Successful candidates will be required to provide a current driver’s abstract prior to their start date to confirm their licence is held in good standing and that it has not been suspended or revoked under the Highway Traffic Act (HTA) or Criminal Code of Canada in the last 5 years. The City of Guelph will take into consideration the number of demerit points and/or nature of the infractions to determine if it meets our requirements.
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Respect and understanding for how to handle highly confidential, sensitive issues and information.
- Strong organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Excellent communications skills (both oral and written) with the ability to communicate with all levels of staff, stakeholders and the general public.
- Excellent customer service skills with the ability to resolve customer inquiries/complaints effectively.
- A satisfactory Police Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check would be required at time of offer.
- High Five Certification.
- Experience with CLASS is considered an asset.
- Aquatic Supervisory Training would be considered an asset.
- Ontario Fitness Certification and/or/Aquafit/Aquatic Therapy Certification would be considered an asset.
- Pool Operators Certification would be considered an asset.
$29.34 - $36.03 per hour
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Friday, January 12, 2018. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
To access the online application system, please visit the job posting listed on http://guelph.ca/employment-careers/ and click on the “Apply for this job” icon. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer.