Position: Parks Project Coordinator
Posting For: City of Markham
Type: Temporary Full Time
Posting Date: September 26, 2017
Deadline: October 22, 2017
If you’re an experienced Landscape Architect or similarly qualified professional who thrives in a fast-paced setting, this temporary full-time role in the City of Markham Operations Department is for you.
Reporting to the Manager, Parks Operations, you will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing the implementation of lifecycle replacement and capital projects, as assigned, within the City of Markham. Your duties as a Parks Project Coordinator will include condition assessments of various amenities, the hiring of consultants, the preparation and/or review of design and construction drawings and tender documents, project and budget administration, contract management, site inspections, and report writing. This leadership position will entail liaising with Managers, Councillors, staff, residents and external agencies, as well as supervising private consultants to ensure compliance with City standards and design objectives.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (DELIVERABLES)
Coordinating and overseeing capital projects within existing park lands, as assigned, including both lifecycle replacements and new amenities
Performing condition assessment of various amenities and site conditions to facilitate preparation of recommendations related to scheduling
Hiring consultants and preparing tender documents to help engage contractors to perform work
Reviewing designs and construction drawings and tender documents once submitted
Handling the administration of all projects and associated budgets, including tracking project budgets and expenditures, including commitments, change orders, progress payments, Purchase Order adjustments, etc., as required
Managing all contracts associated with assigned projects and coordinating with Parks Operation staff
Performing site visits on all projects and completing site inspections for compliance and assumption
Preparing reports for the Manager to update Committees and Council, as requested.
Bring your expertise and passion for excellence to this role as Parks Project Coordinator:
- You hold a degree in Landscape Architecture, or equivalent academic qualifications as recognized by the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects to qualify for Full Membership
- You hold full membership, in good standing, in the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects, OR are qualified to obtain full member status within five (5) months of employment
- You have three (3) to five (5) years’ experience in related design, construction, and field-related contract administration, preferably within a municipal setting or equivalent
- You possess strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Your demonstrated computer experience and knowledge include all Microsoft Office software
- You can multi-task in fast-paced working environments
- You bring a good working knowledge of general office equipment
- You hold and can maintain a valid Ontario Class G driver’s licence, and have access to a reliable personal vehicle for business purposes; as a condition of employment, you will be required to provide a satisfactory driver’s abstract.
The salary range for this temporary (12-month) full-time position is $75,134 to $84,420 per year.
The City of Markham, a municipality with more than 350,000 residents centrally located in the Greater Toronto Area, is home to over 400 corporate head offices and more than 1,100 high-tech and life science companies. Founded in the 1790s, today Markham is Canada’s most diverse community, and enjoys a rich heritage, outstanding community planning and services, and a vibrant local economy. Markham has received the Excellence Canada Gold Award for Organizational Quality & Healthy Workplace, and multiple heritage and environmental awards. Committed to being a model of public service excellence, with a workforce that is representative of the population we serve, we are looking for people who share our values and are champions of innovative practices.
We are committed to inclusive employment practices.
How to apply:
For more information and to apply online by Sunday, October 22, 2017, please visit our website at markham.ca/jobs.